Oh conversation hearts, how I could totally just eat a whole big bag of you. But now to take the classic kid-friendly treat of puppy chow, add some conversation hearts in, and have Conversation Heart Puppy Chow? Oh, my! My husband thinks they are “gross”, so he can eat just the puppy chow and I’ll have the hearts!
Pick up some extra large conversation hearts from Walmart to make this tasty puppy chow!
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 bag extra large conversation heart candies
- Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set aside. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe medium bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring in between.
- Pour the mixture of the cereal and gently mix until the cereal is all coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2-gallon ziplock bag and add the confectioner’s sugar. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is coated.
- Spread the cereal out onto the baking sheet to cool. Sprinkle the conversation heart candies throughout the cereal.
- Store in an airtight container.
Want to give some chow as a treat? Use this Conversation Heart Puppy Chow Printable Bag Topper!